If you have had to use Tableau Server in medium to large environments it’s likely you have had to deal with Tableau Server permissions . Initially I found it wasn’t the most logical way of assigning permissions, I had to do a lot of repetitive tasks.
The thing to keep in mind is that Tableau Server permissions work at each level and can require assigning at each level – i.e. view => workbook => project – but if you assign permissions from the workbook level or below, if the permissions differ for many workbooks/views in the project maintenance becomes increasingly time consuming. I have found the most efficient way to assign permission is from the top down – i.e. project => workbook => view – and I’ll explain the reasons later in the article. Read more…
Recently I’ve been experimenting in Tableau with dashboard sizes for the ipad. I prefer to set it up landscape viewing and found the optimal size is 1020 x 610 pixels, this more or less seems the perfect size to fill the full screen and remove the need for scrolling.
My current employer is still using Tableau Server 6.1 – or 6.1.6 to be precise. I’ve been trying to work out how the extracts work when pulling from a SQL Server so the same extract can be shared by multiple dashboards. The reason for this is that some of my extracts take a long time to update which is not ideal when the same extract is used in multiple dashboards and instead of refreshing it multiple times for each dashboard it would be more efficient to update just once and all dashboards using it will be updated together.
What I was wondering was if when you connect to a data extract in Tableau is whether the published extract is updated when any dashboard based on this extract is updated. It seems this isn’t the case. Once the extract is published it remains as it was a publication time for all time I believe. It appears that when you connect to that extract and publish the workbook Tableau actually duplicates the extract and updates this duplicate whenever the dashboard is updated. In other words the extract published individually to the server doesn’t alter but the duplicate Tableau made embedded in the dashboard does update. Read more…
I’ve faced a number of issues recently with Tableau report performance not being as good as required. This article is my attempt to combine the different ways to improve the speed I’ve learnt from other sources. The intention is to update this as I learn new techniques to achieve better performing Tableau reports. Read more…
If using Tableau Server it’s possible to pass parameters to filter your dashboard via the URL. It’s very straightforward and detailed in this post on the Tableau Forums. Basically just get the URL to access the dashboard on the server, add a ? at the end, which is how parameters are entered in a URL. After the ? put either the name of the parameter or the name of the field being filtered, =, and then the value.
For example if you want to filter/pass an email address parameter – field/parameter name being EmailAddress – your URL would be as follows: http://ServerName/views/WorkbookName/ViewName?EmailAddressfirstname.lastname@example.org
Note this is case sensitive so make sure this is taken into account. To add additional parameters add an ampersand (&) to the end of the URL for each parameter/filter and the same Name=Value syntax.
I’ve just run into a problem when publishing a workbook on to the server where it gives me the error: ‘Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source’
The workbook worked perfectly while being viewed in tableau but failed on publication to the server. It turns out this is due to hidden and unused fields being referenced by Tableau Server for some reason, but somewhere and somehow this field isn’t found by the server. Perhaps the field isn’t published as it’s hidden and that causes the problem but that’s pure speculation on my part.
To the important piece – how to fix it. In a previous post about unhiding sheets in Tableau I talk about editing the XML behind the Tableau visualisation. We once again need to access the XML to fix this problem – we need to find the hidden fields and delete them from the XML. Read more…
I have noticed that when publishing to Tableau server, dependent on what you publish, the view name can change. If you publish a worksheet on to the server the view name becomes the same as the sheet title and not the sheet name. If you publish a dashboard the view name remains the same as the dashboard name regardless of title.
The moral of the story is to only publish dashboards on the server – so put your worksheets on to a dashboard(s) before publishing to ensure a self explanatory user-friendly view name which should be easier for users to find.